Whilst it looks like this heatwave might break this weekend, we’re likely to have more periods of weather like this, so here are 5 top tips to keep you cooler whilst working out this summer.
- Think about the timing of your workout and the location of it. The benefit of this group is that you have access to workouts 24/7, so use the cooler earlier mornings or late evenings where possible. If it’s cooler and there’s some welcome breeze/shade, consider taking yourself outside. And if you’re out running look for routes that are shady.
- It’s obviously really important to stay hydrated (even more so if you’re breastfeeding), so drink plenty of water before, during and after your workout. Also, think about your caffeine intake because caffeine acts as a diuretic and so forces water out of your system. This is the last thing you want when exercising in this heat. Save your caffeine instead for several hours before or after your workout (ideally consuming it in the morning so it doesn’t keep you awake at night), rather than around the time you’re exercising.
- Think about what you’re wearing to exercise. Lighter colors reflect the heat better than dark colours. And ideally you want clothing made of material that will move sweat away from your body and help it evaporate quickly.
- Take breaks as you need them, keeping an eye on your heart rate where possible because the heat places greater stain on our hearts. Listen to your body!
- Look for opportunities to safely lower your body temperature where you can – cold showers and ice cold flannels on the back of your neck are brilliant ways to help you feel better in the heat.